Question
Posted by: Louis | 2004/01/28

Memory Loss short-term Alzheimers???

I am diabetic type II - taking metformin, glocomed, also taking pharmapress for bloodpressure and a light diaretic once a day. I am vegetarian but eat cheese milk and eggs as well as a soya protein diet. I had an episode of 22.4 blood glucose in November 03 and am now able with riding a stationary cycle and diet to keep blood glucose at 7.8 ranging to 10.1.

I have noticed that I am getting a shortterm memory disturbance. I work 27.4 on a computer doing databases and also running a small office with much email and phone contact. I need to start thinking of taking the memory ginkgo offered on the Kalahari.net site.

Would like some advice of how to maintain health - vibrance of mind and up energy level.

Kind thanks, Louis

Expert ImageArchive

Memory disturbance can be related to high blood sugar readings, as well as certain medications for blood pressure. It is a good idea to check this with your doctor, and at the same time check cholesterol levels. High Cholesterol leads to memory loss and is often associated with diabetes.
the herb Ginko is valuable in increasing blood flow to the brain and in this way can help prevent memory loss, but in your case it would be advisable to also check medication and cholesterol as well.
As better control is brought over blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol you may well find that your memory will improve and you can then use the ginkgo to support blood flow in prevention.
(Dr Chase Webber ND)

1
Posted by: Mikey | 2004/02/27

Both my wife and I are over 60 (I am 65) and we find our short term memory is fading. What natural/vitain/ or other medication can we take to remedy the situation and what should we avoid. We do nat smoke.

Thank you,

PLEASE ANSWER BY E-MAIL. Mikey.

Reply to Mikey