Question
Posted by: CAR | 2004/11/01

MEMORY AND CONCENTRATION

I have been suffering from Post Natal Depression for a couple of months. My concentration and memory is terrible, I thought I was loosing my marbles ... I really struggle to concentrate.

My memory is also wierd I will be talking to somebody on the phone ask them who they are and when they say goodbye, I can't remember who I spoke to. Is this normal for depression. How long will it last before my memory returns to normal and my concentration. Or will this be like this indefinately ?

I sometimes find myself staring at nothing for 10 to 15 minutes like going into a day dream . Why is this also normal ?

I just want to be myself again, people tell me to be patient but and I now starting to loose my patience it seems neverending .. Help !!!

CAr, you don't say whether you are receiving treatment for your PostNatal Depression.If not, get it promptly, as you deserve it and it can be so very effective. IF you are, discuss all this seriously with your shrink. Depression can ruin one's concentration and memopry, and effective treatment can improve it again, without taking toolong. Take notes of phone calls, an use similar techniques to help with concentration and memory for the time being, and seize on appropriate medication and counselling, to get through this as efficiently and effectively as possible.