Question
Posted by: CC | 2004/11/15

MEMORY

Why is it when you have been diagnosed with depression you struggle with your memory and concentration. Is this permanent or does it eventually come right .. It is extremely frustrating

CC, yes, very frustrating, a well-recognized part of most Depressions ; and it does eventually come right

4
Posted by: CC | 2004/11/16

Dear Lisa,

Are you married ? Do you have children and if you do how do you cope with your marriage, children and your job, I am finding all of the above very difficult to deal with at this present time

Reply to CC
Posted by: Liza | 2004/11/15

Yes I have. Was first diagnosed about 8 years ago with Major depressive disorder. Had some ups and downs and have been on permanent medication for the past 2 years. My diagnosis was recently changed to Bipolar I, with generalized anxiety disorder. The medication was changed with the diagnosis and things have improved somewhat. I still struggle sometimes though. Have to remind myself of certain things 5 times a day so that I won't forget - and even then I sometimes still forget (unless its in my notebook)

What most people do not understand that depression can be a very difficult illness to live with. From my side, I have to study extra hard for any exam (busy with a degree from Unisa) and I have to continually repeat the work. Pity I can't listen to my Betakit study cd's all the time. They've been of invaluable help in my studies.

Sometimes it feels like I've only half a brain - because things I could do before a 'episode' I suddenly cannot do in the same time-frame. It might take up twice the time it used to. This also eventually improves when I start stabilizing (still takes about 2 months after I've 'stabilized' to be the same as before).

I think this is one of the reasons why most psychiatrists also want their patients to see psychologists. To work through this frustration and sometimes feeling of helplessness. Even if you don't have other problems that need to be resolved.

Reply to Liza
Posted by: CC | 2004/11/15

Dear Lisa, have you been diagnosed with depression ?

Reply to CC
Posted by: Liza | 2004/11/15

It improves with the correct medication. Two weeks ago I could hardly remember what happened 5 minutes ago. (or the previous weekend) Today it has improved so that I at least remember the gist of the conversation I had 10 minutes ago - even if its not the precise details.

What I can advise is that you get a notebook. Keep it with you everywhere you go. Whenever you see that you need to remember something - write it down. In this way you are reminded about it every time you open it up to write something else down. Keep a day-planner too. This will help you to remember appointments etc. Just don't do what I did and rely on your cellphone with calendar capabilities to remind you of things. Mine got stolen twice in the space of a month. I've now rather moved to the day-planner. I doubt whether anyone is going to steal it just to find out when my next gynae appointment etc. is.

Reply to Liza