Question
Posted by: Confused | 2004/11/06

memory

I've been married for 8 years and in the 3rd year of marriage I had an affair. Now after about 6 years I have told my husband the truth. We want our marriage to work but my husband needs to know exactly what we did when we were having an affair. I've tried to remember but I can't seem to remember much about and that is just not acceptable to my husband. How can I make myself remember, who can I go and see that will help me remember?

What do one have to have done to classify it as in having an affair (I did not sleep with this person)?

This sort of extreme curiosity about exactly what happened seems quite common, and would seem more likely to increase the pain. And it's an unavoidable fact that after 8 years you're unlikely to remember details --- as you can tell him, that's in part a mark of how relatively unimportant what happened was, to you. Remembering more accurately, and giving him more details, really isn't what's needed. What you both need, is to get actively and sincerely involved in marriage counselling, to sort this out and make that marriage worjk, and he will there be able to udnerstand that this excessive curiosity won't help either of you.

1
Posted by: Confused | 2004/11/12

I agree with your comment. Unfortunatly this does not help my husband - he can't move on unless he knows exactly what happened between me and this guy I had an affair with.

What kind of medical professional do I need to go and see to be able to access this lost memory?

Reply to Confused