Question
Posted by: CK | 2004/11/01

Memory

I am a 25 year old male.

I’ve been concerned (for a while now) about my memory ‘loss’. I can’t seem to remember a lot of things – especially from my childhood. Not even vague recollections – just a blank!!! I am not sure if this is due to stress, or a traumatic incident (although I don’t remember any such, or think that anything like that has happened), or whether I just have a ‘lazy’ memory!?

Also, I seem to be ‘losing’ my mathematical/arithmetic/logic abilities! I used to be a straight A student, and excelled particularly in Maths and Physics up until end matric/1st year of university(17/18 years old) (which I failed, I think due to my not remembering anything – this was the first time I started noticing this memory ‘loss’. When it was end-of year exams at university, and I reviewed the work we covered over the year, some of it seemed brand new to me, although I attended all my lectures, and we covered those topics, according to my notes – but I could not remember it at all!).

I now have (sometimes severe) difficulty just putting 2 simple pieces of information together, ‘connecting the dots’ kinda thing! Although, this happens quite randomly.

Also, from what I can remember, I can’t seem to be able to put things in any sort of chronological order – it all just seems like ‘some time in the past’ – no specific year, or time!!!

I am really concerned about this, because (as far as I can remember – which is up to about when I was 16/17 years old) this never used to happen before.

The only reason I can think of is when I started smoking at 17!

Should I be really concerned about this?

Please let me know if you need more details.

CK

CK, it is definitely something to worry about because what you’re experiencing is not normal. The best would be to see a neurologist ASAP and have it sorted out. Good luck

1
Posted by: Cannoneer | 2004/11/02

I too am 25 and have had a similar problem for a while. All through school I excelled at subjects like mathematics and physics- plainly because it has less to do with remembering facts and more with the application of rules, techniques and common sense. I forgot my 17th birthday; I think that had more to do with the fact that I do not pay much attention to dates. I feel as if I have almost no short-term memory. I find myself forgetting certain words middle of sentences. I it takes a lot of work remember anything, but some memories– when sparked up are as vivid as if they had just happened. I am also unable to remember names- the other day I saw an ex-girlfriend; we had been together for several years and at that instant I could not remember her name. What I have found is that I am able to remember most details if I make some sort of note. I write everything down during my workday and file the books for reference- that is rather difficult when I am out of the office. I am also thinking of keeping a diary it should help.

Reply to Cannoneer