Posted by: Mapstix | 2008/10/09

Melotonin - Toddler

Good evening …  do you have any info on Melatonin given to toddlers. I’ ve search the web and spoken to the pharmacist and the overwhelming feeling and opinion of every one is not to give it to a toddler unless prescribed by a paediatrician.

The problem is that my brother and sister in law are giving this homeopathic medicine to their 3 year old (for many months now) –  their pharmacist recommended it because their daughter had trouble sleeping at night. I’ ve since told them what I’ ve read and what other pharmacist said and they are still giving it to their child.

The studies show they have tested it on hyperactive children, children with brain problems, having seizers or blind children …  and have never been tested on normal children.

do you have more info on this …  I am really worried about the poor little girl and what effect this hormonal medication could have on her.

Expert ImageNatural health

as far as my knowledge no studies has been done on melatonin on children. There are other products that would be deemed appropriate for sleeping. Also is it melatonin tabs or melatonin syrup (sportron). if it is the second then it is different to the hormone melatonin.
Dr Debbie