Question
Posted by: Sasa2 | 2003/12/15

Mefloquine and trying to fall pregnant

Hi Doc,

I am trying to fall pregnant and I am taking Mefloquine for Malaria prevention as I went to Mozambique two weeks back. I will be taking my last pill of Mefloquine on the 31st December 2003 and according to my ovulation calculation my best conception dates are (17-21 December and 14 -18January). I would like to know if I fall pregnant on these days, what effect will the medication have on the baby? How long does it take for Mefloquine to be cleared from the body?

It is recommended that pregnant women not use malaria prophylaxis, though the actual harm caused is not clearly documented. I would suggest that you do not try to fall pregnant in December, but wait for January by which time you should be safe.