Question
Posted by: Mel | 2008/06/20

Meds that will help me fall pregnant?

I have poly-cystic ovaries. I do not ovulate. I am currently on Metformin. I sometimes get my period for a month or 2, and then not again for many months. I desperately want to have a baby now. I have already been for the hysteroscopy, laparoscopy. How do I fall pregnant trying meds? Do not want to try in-vitro or insemination yet. Plz help.

Dear Mel
It is important to note that the ‘so called’ periods that you get every one or two months is not strictly speaking a true period but rather a break through bleed which is characteristic of PCOS with ovulatory dysfunction. Therefore before starting any ovulation induction therapy you need to regulate your cycle by means of the oral contraceptive pill even if this is only for a very short period of 1 month only. There are several ovulation induction therapies available but the simplest is the use of oral Clomiphene citrate (clomid, fertimid, serophene, etc). This should be combined with ovulation monitoring using the urine LH ovulation testing kits such as Clearplan. This will enable you to time intercourse more accurately and thereby enhance your fertility potential. It is also important that you use ovulation induction agents under supervision of a qualified practitioner.