Posted by: sah | 2008/08/04

Meds &  weight loss

Hi I have recently (9 July) had my thyroid removed. I have been gaining weight prior to the operation. I am now on eltroxin and having the thyroid removed im very concerned about gaining any more weight. I have to wait for my first blood test before i can return to gym . I would like to know if there is a spacific diet i can follow to loose some wight (+/- 8 kgs) . thanks for your time.

Dear Sah
Lack of thyroid hormone can cause weight gain, so it is good that you have been put on thyroid hormone replacement therapy. It can take up to 3 months for the thyroid hormone levels to return to normal with the treatment, so you need to wait for that blood test to hear if the dr will allow you to return to the gym. This is one time when you have to be patient. In the meanwhile you can use an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet) to help you lose some weight. Once you have been given the 'all clear' by the dr and can return to your gym, you can add regular aerobic exercise to your regimen to lose those 8 kgs.
Wishing you all the best for the operation.

Posted by: Sweetness | 2008/08/04

Please give me guidance on effects of thyroid on weight loss and gain

Reply to Sweetness