Posted by: shy girl | 2008/08/04

meds affecting sex drive?

I' m totally not interested in sex since the last time my heart was broken. I have had three partners and long periods in between so it always hurts a bit the first time. even after i get over that initial pain i feel like i don' t enjoy sex. the third guy i slept with was quite good but i did not come and i had no emotional connection with him whatsoever. he was my ex but after breaking my haert there was no love. the next guy i met is totally emotionally unavailable and when i slept over at his house i kissed him which was nice but i told him i had my period cos i doubt i would enjoy the sex. is it possible that i dont enjoy sex because i don' t have a proper relationship and emotional bond with these men? how come some people can just have sex with anyone and they do enjoy it?

i' ve been on antidepressants for about three years and sometimes i get aroused but that' s it. i don' t enjoy sex.

Well, if one is depressed or just plain miserable, one may well lose interest in sex. And if you don't really feel any emotional conection with the guy, a lack of enjotyment is also rather likely. You're probably right that the lack of an emotional bond and real fondness for the guy is probably reducing your interest here. But als, some antidepressants may reduce your libido, your level of sexual desire, rather significantly ; almost all do this in some people, but none do it in everyone, so a change in the antidepressant being used might relieve this, and some ADs like Wellbutrin, don't sem to have this disadvantage

Posted by: Ally | 2008/08/04

it' s not that uncommong for a number of women to have low sex drives, which will not be helped with a partner you are not totally into. Sex is ok for me too, seldom mind-blowing.
just try to enjoy the closeness and don' t feel pressure to do it all the time, suit yourself too.
all the best.

Reply to Ally
Posted by: Sg | 2008/08/04

It could very well be a bit of both ie antidepressants are well known to affect one' s sex life by either lowering your libido or battling to orgasm.On the other hand it is not uncommon for someone not to enjoy sex if you don' t really have an emotional bond with that person (particularly amongst women).

Reply to Sg