Question
Posted by: Barry | 2007/05/16

Meds

I am not depressed, however I was prescribed Lilly-fluoxetine as one of their side-effects corrects my issue. I want to know whether taking this medication will cause any depression when I stop taking the medicine. Thanks

Expert ImagePharmacist

Fluoxetine works by correcting levels of chemical in the brain - serotonin in this case. Should you have had no depression before, chances are small that rebound depression will occcur. It can however not be excluded. Best would be to slowly wean yourself of it for just in case.