Posted by: El-Jo | 2004/09/20


Dear Cybershrink
I know I've said I'm going to stop the Lamictin - I haven't - too scared I might land up in hospital. But it's rapidly becoming unaffordable, as most of our money has to go towards my husband’s meds. My shrink has offered to put me on government meds., whatever that might mean - I didn’t ask. I really don't want to change to another type of meds. if possible, as I’m reasonably stable on the Lamictin.
My husband’s doctor has prescribed Risperdal for him as well. Since it is too expensive to pay for both of us, he has to share my prescription, which I don’t mind at all… I still have trouble taking it. I’m taking 0,5 mg once a day at the moment - that is a start at least. The prescribed dose is 1 mg twice a day. I used to take it only once in a while, when I thought I needed it. I make sure that my husband takes the dose prescribed for him though. He definitely needs it.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Hi El-Jo,
I expect that what your doctor meant was reasonable --- there is a list of meds which are listed by the government as essential and supposed to be made freelly available through state / provincial clinics and hospitals. This doesn't include all the newest and most expensive medicaions, but ought to be sufficient to help most people. I suspect that this would not include Lamictin. I understand that Lamictin has been useful for you, but alternatives are available, which would probably suit you very well. Similarly, he might check on whether there are cheaper but effective alternatives to your husband's meds, too. Again, while Risperdal is popular among prescribing doctors, with the encouragement of the drug company marketing it, a slightly older close relative of Risperdal, like Haloperidol, is probably on the Govt list, and available in generic form, thus cheaper but chemically equivalent. Many drugs work differently if taken once in a while rather than regularly, but muchdepends on the patient, the drug, and the reason for which it is being taken.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.