Question
Posted by: mom | 2007/05/22

meditation

hi doc, I am 38 yrs old, have a professional, highly stressful job, 2 small children, and a relationship with my husband that sometimes is difficult, but I am not at divorce stages!! Put it this way, we fight a lot and always have, have just learnt how to deal with it better through the years. I am very impatient, highly strung, get cross quickly, and am a classic A-type personality. So my life is hectic, I don't relax much, stress a lot and am always tired and of course busy with 2 kids. I have been thinking of starting meditation classes, would something like this help?

Best of all would be CBT counselling, to identify the range of causes of your stresses, anxiety and irritability, and to find better ways to avoid as many of these as possible, and to deal better with them when they're not preventable. Within the CBT you would learn different ways of relaxing deliberately, which should include meditation, but would go further and in more practical ways