Question
Posted by: Keen | 2007/08/23

Medications

I have been diagnosed with Chronic Pelvic pain syndrom (I'm male, 30). I also have IBS and joint pain (all tests by physicians have been negative for any serious disease so far). Due to the pain, my depression has been getting worse and I went to see a psychiatrist. He recommended Aropax CR 25mg. He says a new drug will be coming to SA next year specifically targeting depression and pain. Do you know about this?

I am also taking trepeline 10mg at night for IBS and pelvic pain. Would this combination be safe? My physician (internist) says it should be fine, but I just wanted to hear what you think (Oh yes, I also take Synap Forte 2 tablets when the pain gets really bad, but that is not a lot)

Eugene

I don't know which specific drug he is referring to, as most antidepressants, apart from being useful for depression, are also useful for pain, even when there is no depression around. Aropax may help, as could Trepiline, though that dose is rather low.

2
Posted by: jcat | 2007/08/23

P.S. In this case, with the amount of trep that you are on, you don't need to worry, even though your pharmacist and drugs com will both give you a red-light. But always double-check with all doc's and pharmacist....

Reply to jcat
Posted by: jcat | 2007/08/23

Hi Eugene,
- terpeline is primarily an anti-depressant, not a pain-killer. I'd be curious as to why your physician has prescribed this, as I wouldn't think it's the most effective pain-killer that you could use (albeit with some analgesic properties).

I'm not a doc or anything, but read a lot about meds, especially the ones I'm taking (lots, including both of those in the past....) . Check out www drugs com for drug interactions - you might need to use either the active ingredient (amytriptyline and paroxetene) or the US names, which you can get from Google.
Regards,
jcat

Reply to jcat