Question
Posted by: Julie | 2005/07/22

MEDICATION FOR VERY BAD PERIOD PAINS / DOC PLEASE ANSWER

DEAR DOC,

MY DAUGHTER WHO IS 20 HAS ALWAYS GOT VERY BAD PERIOD PAINS WHAT OVER THE COUNTER MEDICATION CAN SHE TAKE? SHE HAS TRIED NUROFIN BUT IT DOES NOT SEEM TO WORK AND ALSO THE PERIOD PAIN (I FORGET THE NAME) PILLS OVER THE COUNTER.

THANKS

She could try Ponstan. If the pain starts on the first day of the period and lasts about 24 hours, it is likely to be 'normal' period pains.

4
Posted by: Tania | 2005/07/22

Your daughter could well have endometriosis. Severe period pain is NOT normal. She had better see a gynaecologist.

Reply to Tania
Posted by: ronelle | 2005/07/22

Hi Ladies

Chamberlins Colic is very good also quarter glass of hot water and two tablespoons works wonders.

Try it

Reply to ronelle
Posted by: Nuffing | 2005/07/22

Oh yes the other thing that does help a bit is going on the pill, someow the regulated hormones do seems to ease the cramps a bit. I still got them, but they were not as bad... also being on the pill made my period less heavy.

Reply to Nuffing
Posted by: Nuffing | 2005/07/22

Ponstan/ponstel helped me a bit. I used to get VERY bad period pains.

Honestly the only thing that really resolved them for me was having a baby.

Once your uterus has grown and stretched and then gone through the birthing process the menstrual cramps seems to diminish a lot.

Those cramps really are like labour pains, but with no purpose and because they are constant, rather than the rythmical coming and going of contractions in labour I found them far worse to deal with. Plus you are expected to just carry on with your normal life, and can't stop and focus like you can in labour.

I had such bad cramps that I would get nauseaus and get diarrhea each month, and would often end up curled in a self pitying ball, so I do sympathise.

Like I said once I had kids it was a thing of the past YAY.

Reply to Nuffing