Posted by: Medically speaking | 2008/09/08

Can you explain why a psychiatrist would prescribe Abilify to someone suffering from depresssion who also abuses TIK. Isn' t depression a side effect of drug abuse and shouldn' t it clear up if drugs are stopped. Can I assume that the person now has Bipolar
as a result of drug abuse or has it always been there and only got worse because of drugs. This person has also been diagnosed with Social Phobia and Adult ADD by a different psych????

Many things, physical, psychological and chemical can contribute to developing a Depression, but once it has started, it has a life of its own and needs treatment in its own right ; merely stopping the causal factor is usually not enough. The drug abuse absolutely has to be stopped, and treatment would be rather negligent if it ignored this important aspect of the problem. It sounds curious for someone to accumulate so many different diagnoses. Maybe yet another careful opinion isn needed, to try to distinguish symptoms of the Tik abuse, from others. I doubt we have Tik abuse plus Bipolar Depression ( but with no other treatment of Depression or mood stabilizer ? ) plus Social Phobia PLUS Adult ADHD.

Posted by: Medically Speaking | 2008/09/09

I' m not assuming - th eperson was told he had Bipolar but i' m wondering if the drug abuse brought it on.

Reply to Medically Speaking
Posted by: phantomfairy | 2008/09/08

U cant just Assume someone has BiPolar, its a different kind of depression to the other ones. Do a google search on BiPolar depression and see how many different kinds of depressions there are.

Reply to phantomfairy