Question
Posted by: Wannabe | 2003/02/01

Medical studies - any ideas ?

Hiya Doc,

I wonder if you can give some input ....

I would love to study medicine, it's always been an interest of mine, and if possible, someday become a MD. Problem is tho, I am employed full-time, and quite happy in my profession. To your knowledge, are there any accredited distance learning institutions that I can study through ?

Thanx,

Wannabe

Wannabe, as far as I know there is no way that you can study medicine by post. Any reputable university will require you to sign on for full-time study. Good luck.

1
Posted by: med student | 2003/02/02

I don't really have an answer to your question. I'm a med student myself at stellenbosch universtiy, doubt though if you'll be able to do it through distance learning since we have been working with patients since our 2nd year, doing rounds in hospitals and dissecting the kadavers.

But do have something to share with you... A guy studied chemical engineering, got an excellent job and even married. When he turned 30 he decided to quit his job and started studying med. Today he is a fifth year med student, with a 3 month old baby and he's NEVER been happier! (and he still wants to specilise!).

Follow your dream....

Reply to med student