Question
Posted by: Me | 2004/10/09

Medical Procedure

Dear Cybershrink

I must go for a urological procedure and I am experiencing a lot of stress and anxiousness. Who can I go and see about this problem? Is there counsillors that can perhaps help me cope before I go in for this procedure?

Thank You

Hi Me,
It'd be a most excellent policy i all hospitals, especially private ones which could afford it, would have on staff or at least available, someone who could provide some basic counselling and support for people anxious about prospective operations or procedures.
As it stands, none do, but almost any general counsellor or shrink ought to be able to help you, very adequately. It may also help to ask the urologist or one of his saff to give you a simple explanation of exactly what will and will not ! be done in the procedure, as one most readily feels fearful of the unknown. Once you're in hospital for the procedure they will probably give you some premed which will reduce your anxiety considerably, but you'll want support in reducing such anxiety before then, and that's where a counsellor can help. You can then look at the ratonal and irrational aspcts of what fears / anxieties you feel, and also learn to delax deliberately, and to let yourself feel soothed and not disturbed by the prospect of a helpful procedure.

1
Posted by: Bull | 2004/10/11

Me, it is you who had to go to faimly court etc.

How did it go? It everything soarted out? Perhaps I missed it, but I don't think you came back to us to let us know how things went.

Good luck with the medical procedure. I am sure there's nothing to worry about.

Reply to Bull