Question
Posted by: Very Blue | 2004/02/10

Medical Aids vs illness

Hi medical money (I like the name).

I have been having problems in the past 7 seven years. I have been loosing a lot of blood through my periods and the gynaecologist I go to give me different medications for that. To stop the bleeding and supplements as well. For the past 7 years I have from one gynae to the next due to the fact that I have not been given a logical explanation as to why. One doctor said that it might be a growth in my womb, while the other said that it might be hormone imbalance the other one told me he had not clue as to what was causing this, the last doctor I saw said that it was possible I was not ovulating.

I do not know who to believe as I have to tried several madications and all I seem to be doing is getting a lot of pain from the womb afterwards.

In the process my medical aid is used for pathology, radiology, consultation and medication. In the past there were separate benefits for each of these but now they have been combined. I realise that my medical will be exhausted before the end of the year. This has happened for too long in my life I already feel like it should be treated as chronic. I still want to have kids but not now therefore the issue of having a visectomy is totally ruled out.

Can I apply for chronic medication?

Expert ImageArchive

Hi very blue

I do not even want to pretend to know what you are going through - suffice to say it is extreme inconvenient and the problem exacerbated by the lack of clarity on the condition. My wife has had similar symptoms and it was diagnosed as polycystic ovaries - has that been explored?

The ongoing nature of your condition seems to fulfil all the criteria for a chronic condition, however it is at the discretion of the scheme whether they accept and then pay for the medication that arises therefrom as a chronic condition. In order to achieve this you will need to write to the Principal Officer of the scheme and attach supporting medical information.

Some schemes have started to reintroduce unlimited acute medication and chronic medication from the risk pool, rather than from savings or severely restricted limits, as it seems you currently have. It may be worth exploring new alternatives.

Best of luck in your endeavours.