Question
Posted by: Keen | 2005/05/31

Medical Aids

Dear Doc

With the rate of depression and other mental illnesses on the increase, I'm just wondering why depression is not on the list of compulsory chronic diseases for the medical aids?
Is it because they don't see it as a disease?

I'm so sick of always having to explain to my m/aid as to WHY I need medicine. Why don't they ask a diabetic the same questions and only pay for THEIR medicine for only 6 months?

Just venting....

It must be an act of lunacy, wickedly irresponsible ignorance, or obscene greed, for an medical aid NOT to reconize one of the commonest and most disabling chronic human illnesses for chronic benefits. And what the fools in their admin don't realize, is that because Bipolar Disorder IS on most of their silly little lists, many doctors are now deliberately diagnosing people who do NOTY have bipolar disorder, but DO have depression, as bipolar --- and then, to bolster up the deception, are then prescribing very expensive and unnecessary mood stabilizing drugs for them, thus increasing the costs to the medical aids. Yet nothing seems to decrease the perks and luxury cars of the administrators who choose to inflict selective misery on the members who pay their salaries.

2
Posted by: Keen | 2005/05/31

Maybe I should ask my shrink to diagnose me as bipolar...at least then I'll be covered :)

Reply to Keen
Posted by: Liza | 2005/05/31

Some medical aids have bipolar as a 26th on the list. Discovery has an extended list of 55 chronic illnesses on their more expensive plans. It costs quite a bit - but its still less than my medication and doc visit each month and I'm covered for everything else too. Plus I claim it back from tax each year.

Reply to Liza