Question
Posted by: Me | 2004/10/12

Medical...

Hi Doc.

I have a problem that really stresses me: I have to go and see a urologist as my GP referred me. My GP said that he thinks there is a stricture in my bladder pipe. I haven't gone to see a urologist yet. I am EXTREMELY scared as I had a bad hospital experience when I was small. My biggest fear is the fact that the specialist might have to insert a catheter into my bladder. I am SO scared of that!!! What can I do in order to cope with this situation? PLEASE HELP ME DOC!!!

Thank you!
16 years old (male)

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi there,

what was the bad experience that you had when you were younger? Clearly this is something that has worried you about medical procedures, and it sounds as if your fear is of pain and discomfort.

It is important that you do go and see a urologist as if there is a problem, not dealing with it will not make it go away. I understand that having a catheter having inserted is not a pleasant experience, but the pain caused by a stricture in your bladder pipe is also unpleasant for you.

When people have experienced something unpleasant our natural instinct is to avoid having to do it again, but not doing this could be potentially more unpleasant for you.

I recommend that when you go and see the urologist you let them know about your concern so that they are aware of your needs. Remember you have to give consent to medical treatment, no-one can just do something to you (unless you are unconscious and they are trying to save your life!!) They can then be sensitive to your worries. If you have a close friend or relative that you would like to accompany you this may also help relax you. As far as relaxing your body is concerned taking nice slow deep breaths during an unpleasant procedure such as a catheter insertion, or an injection also helps. It slows down your heart rate which in turn helps you to feel less panicky and anxious. This is something you can practise yourself. Take a deep breath in through your nose, hold it for 2-3 seconds, then breathe out through your mouth. Give it a try and see if it helps.

If you need any more help, please feel free to post another question on the site - you know where to find me.