Question
Posted by: Jay | 2005/01/11

Med Aid wont pay for Cerebral palsy

I have a son with spastic Diplegia type of cerebral palsy. I have recently joined a medical aid scheme but they put him on a 12 month waiting period for the Diplegia. When I approached them about this, I was told that all medical aids can do this. My question is WHY? What if he needs an op now that will enable him to walk, must we pay out of our pocket while contributing to med aid or wait a whole year?

Expert ImageArchive

Medical Schemes may impose condition-specific waiting periods of up to 12 months. This allows schemes to protection from members that only join a scheme when cover is needed.

No waiting period will however apply in respect of the Prescribed Minimum Benefits.

To provide the most appropriate advice, click on the Optivest link go to Documentation and complete a query request.