Question
Posted by: maryna | 2004/11/30

MEASUREMENTS OF TUMMY,PLEASE ANYONE WITH ANDVICE???

hi doc,or anyone?

iam 6months and was yesterday at my checkup,when to a general hospital,doesnt have a personal gynea,so anyone or doc with advice,my measurement was 23cm,but i know i must be at 28weeks,did my baby stop growing,but i weight 68,70kg and yesterday i weight 72.20kg,can anyone tell me why this is,cos iam going for a scan to check if my baby is doing fine,iam very worried and this is my first baby and i just want everthing to be fine?

I would love to hear from anyone's advise
have a lovely day and iam waiting for anyone's replies?
maryna

The measurement is smaller than it should be. The way to check whether the baby is growing well is with the scan.

1
Posted by: Purple | 2004/11/30

To tell if your baby stopped growing you would need to compare the measurement with the previous months measurement. Also, both times would need to have been measured from head to bum or head to feet - not once the one way and once the other way.

At this stage of pregnancy, they can't tell how far you are by the size of your baby, you have to rely on your dating scan and the date of your last period to work it out.

You would have been given an approximate due date at your first visit to the hospital though, based on the date of your last period.

If however, you are talking about the measurement of your tummy - this doesn't tell you anything about how far you are. Some people have huge tummies and tiny babies - their tummies were just big from lots of water. Some people barely look pregnant but have enormous babies. The size of your tummy isn't an indicator of the size of your baby.

You need to ask more questions at your hospital visits. You have a right to the information whether you are at a government hospital or a private gynae.

Reply to Purple