Question
Posted by: Swarmaji | 2005/07/22

meaning of

Hi there in yoga if one was to be born with the sign of the cobra or NAG as i understand it to be the third eye open or sign of Shiva what would the signicance be and how is it to be used or kudalini open.

Expert ImageYoga

Hi Swarmaji, not sure if I understand what exactly you are asking or if I can be of too much help since this is not my area of expertise. The serpent of psychophysical energy in the yogic system is called Kundalini. It is a form of energy that is referred to as if female and is located at the base of the spine where it is in an almost dormant state.

Interestingly, it seems vertebrates, people included, have a vestigial "brain" at the lower end of the nervous system which is a throwback to earlier evolutionary forms. This is the neurological nexus that, in decapitated chickens, allows them to still run around.

Kundalini can be accessed and stimulated by means of certain yogic techniques to progress upwards until it reaches the top of the head. On its way, the serpent power engages or stimulates the chakras, which are networks, usually described as discs or wheels. These 5 [or 7] chakras are centers that correspond to levels of awareness and include the eyebrow centre.

It is also important to distinguish between the tools of yoga and the mythology and religion that surrounds it; although the two are intertwined they are also separate - for some.

Hope this helps.
Chris
PS: perhaps other forum readers can assist with this query?