Question
Posted by: fairychild | 2008/06/04

meaning

Hi guyz,

please tell what is a lipstick lesbian? Heard someone refering to a lady in the office as a "lipstick lesbian"

Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Hello to you Fairychild, a warm welcome and I hope we'll be hearing form you again soon :)

6
Posted by: tinkerbell | 2008/06/04

hehehe ... so many names... mmmm... just think dyke! ;) ..

when i just came out i read a book on acceptance... one of the exercises was standing in front of a mirror and saying all the derogatory terms that can be used for you.. and accepting that it's not what other people call you but what you call yourself.. and I’m calling myself a friend, lover, sister, daughter… ;)

cheerio
>>o<<

Reply to tinkerbell
Posted by: Fairychild | 2008/06/04

Thanks Nikkits...

Doily dyke....okay now that's another one I have never heard before?

Reply to Fairychild
Posted by: Nikkits | 2008/06/04

A lipstick lesbian is a slang term used to describe gay (lesbian) and bisexual women who exhibit feminine gender attributes, such as wearing make-up (thus, lipstick), wearing dresses or skirts and perhaps having other characteristics associated with feminine women.
In mainstream American films, lesbians are often portrayed according to the lipstick lesbian stereotype to be both politically safer and more sexually attractive to male viewers. A good example is Showtime's television series The L Word, which presents most of its major lesbian characters in this way. Most lesbians in mainstream pornography are also portrayed in this way.
The term was used in San Francisco at least as far back as the 1980s. In 1982, Priscilla Rhoades, a journalist with the gay newspaper The Sentinel, wrote a feature story on "Lesbians for Lipstick." The term is thought to have emerged in wide usage during the early 1990s. A 1997 episode of the television show Ellen widely publicized the phrase. In the show, Ellen DeGeneres's character, asked by her parents whether a certain woman is a "dipstick lesbian," explains that the term is "lipstick lesbian," and comments that "I would be a chapstick lesbian."
In 1999, columnist Mark Steyn called actress Anne Heche, who was dating DeGeneres at the time, "the world's most famous lipstick lesbian."
A distinction is sometimes drawn between the phrases "lipstick lesbian" and "chapstick lesbian" and the older phrases butch and femme by suggesting that the former phrases simply refer to appearance, whereas the latter imply mutual attraction of the two types. "Chapstick lesbians" are often considered soft butch.
The term has also been reinterpreted as a derogatory reference to feigned lesbianism — implying that it is as easy as lipstick to add or remove.
The term has also been applied to heterosexual women who act like lesbians to get attention, i.e. sorority girls making out at a party just to attract guys. These women are not actually lesbians.
An alternate term for "lipstick lesbian" is "doily dyke."

Have fun

Nikkits

Reply to Nikkits
Posted by: Deeve | 2008/06/04

Lipstick Lesbian...huh! ...stick around, her type don't keep quiet for very long - she's going to have way more to say about us lot...just be more prepared next time and give her absolute 'carrots'! LOL... :-)

Reply to Deeve
Posted by: fairychild | 2008/06/04

thanks,

LOL- with the tone she used I thought it was a bad thing...

Reply to fairychild
Posted by: tinkerbell | 2008/06/04

mmm... definitions will probably differ.. simplest def is probably a femme lesbian into makeup ... lol

ciao ciao
tink

Reply to tinkerbell