Posted by: Fred | 2008/10/27

Meals, Sport, supplement

Please assist:

I am trying to achieve max fat loss and contribute to muscle gain (smaller extent), and i don' t know if i need supplements and if i do, i dont know what?
Ultimately, after a few years of neglect, I am trying to get my body back into the right shape (six pack and ripped)

I am currently in shape (just not the right one) I weight around 100kg, 6” 3’ , waist 38.

My new diet (hopefully) will look something like this:
6:30 Smoothie
10:30 Nuts / veg sticks
13:00 Mail daily meal (protein, carbs, veg)
16:30 fruit
20:30 Protein meal (chicken breast / steak and salad)

My training schedule forces me to eat my main meal at lunch time where possible.
Currently I train Mon - Wed (18:00 - 20:00) and matches on Thursday (same time)

I am hoping to add a lot of training to my current schedule
5:30 Swim / gym (alternating days) Monday to Friday (friday will be both a swim and gym)
Saturday (cardio)
Sunday (light waterpolo training)

Please may I ask that you assist with the supplement side and / or comment on the proposed schedule and diet.

I could really use the help.

Dear Fred
It's good to hear that you are changing your lifestyle for the better. Your present BMI = 27,7 which is probably responsible for what you call “your lack of shape”. I would estimate that if you can reduce your weight down to 86 kg (BMI of 24) then you would be close to ideal for a sportsman. The diet you propose to use is reasonable, just make sure that you also include at least 3 glasses of fat-free milk or yoghurt every day because you need the calcium, and these foods are rich in high-quality protein. In addition, research is indicating that a high calcium intake helps with weightloss. The muscles you will develop by doing exercise with weights. Cardio exercises like the swimming, etc, help to use up energy and promote weightloss. If you add the milk/yoghurt you really don't need any additional supplements. Too much protein can also be detrimental and put a strain on the kidneys. To read more about diets for sportsmen, click on Fitness at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' and read the articles on 'Diets for Sportsmen and women', esp the ones on carbohydrates, proteins and carbo-loading.
Hope you get that six-pack, but remember it takes Time!