Question
Posted by: Joey | 2007/03/12

Meali meal porridge

Is this Low GI or high. mealie meal porridge with half a teaspoon of Flora lite marg and one equal sweetner? I have this for breakfast and the have a snack at about 11 am. Somedays it keeps me full til then but on other days I get quiet hungry before then. I also have a raised insulin level which my dr feels doesnt have anything to do with the weight gain around my tummy. I excercise and eat healthily but cant seem to loose weight.

Dear Joey
Freshly cooked, hot maize meal porridge is high GI. Adding the teaspoon of Flora light will probably lower the GI of the meal slightly. If you cook maize meal porridge and let it cool down, then it will be low GI. This is an interesting phenomenon, which was discovered by SA researchers. Seeing that you have raised insulin levels it is essential for you to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your insulin resistance and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'. Regular daily exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life), for 30 minutes or longer not only promotes weight loss, but it also helps to stabilise insulin levels, so get as active as possible.