Question
Posted by: tamara | 2007/03/30

meal replacements

I have bipolar and because of this my IBS is very bad. I often get very nauseous and sometimes get sick. I dont have any appetite at all. I dont want to skip meals or eat next to nothing so i am thinking of trying meal replacement drinks. which one is a good one to try? are these healthy and would they make you put on weight?

thanks

Dear Tamara
I am sorry to hear that you are not well. I would recommend that you contact the manufacturers of the meal replacement products to ask them which one of their products they would recommend for your condition. Companies like Fresenius Kabi and Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone Fresenius on (011) 203-2000, or the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about their Meal replacements. You can also chat to the pharmacist who is dispensing your bipolar medication as most of the products are sold in pharmacies. If you use a straightforward meal replacement product and are not eating other foods because of the nausea then it will not cause weight gain. I would also like to strongly recommend that you a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), so that the dietitian can assess you condition and assist you with a diet prescription.
I do hope you will feel better soon.