Question
Posted by: RV | 2004/10/09

Meal in a glass after operation

Hi, I'm looking for a solution to a problem for my father.
He had an operation recently (for Cancer at JHB Gen).
Despite what seems like better than expected care from the hospital, we have been unable to get any advice on how to maintain and/or regain the weight he's lost through not being able to eat solids.

Please can you tell me what we should be looking at in terms of a long terms liquid diet (hopefully his throat will heal properly but for now I want to try and feed him the best and healthiest liquid based supplements I can).

Much appreciated

Dear RV
I am sorry to hear about your dear father's op. I cannot understand that you were not referred to a clinical dietitian as he needs assistance with this liquid diet he needs to use. I would strongly recommend that you consult clinical dietitian (check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area). She/he will work out a liquid diet for your father which increases his energy intake and supplies him with protective nutrients to build up his system. Fresenius also make liquid diet supplements specifically tailored to this kind of condition. Phone Magda on (011) 203-2000 or 083-603-2231 and ask her about Nutritional Supplements for post-operative care. I have also written articles on post-op liquid diets which should be available is you click on Diet at the top of this page. If you can't find the articles please send en e-mail to mhudson@health24.co.za and she will pass your request on to me.
Holding thumbs for your father and the family.