Question
Posted by: karli | 2004/11/16

meal before a run

I've recently started jogging in the morning. Should I eat something before and if so, what? I go for the run first thing and don't have time to wait for food to settle.

Dear Karli
Because you have probably been fasting for 12 hours since supper and your blood sugar levels will be very low and you need energy to do your jogging, I would recommend that you eat some cereal with milk or yoghurt and a fruit or a sports energy bar before you jog. Also consider using an energy drink (Powerade or Energade) while jogging to ensure that you have sufficient energy available for the exercise. You can also have a 'second' breakfast a few hours later (wholewheat sandwich with a low-fat filling and fruit).
Enjoy