Question
Posted by: Kat | 2007/07/17

Me and smells

I am very sensitive to smells! How a man smells on our first date, whether or not he is using the most expensive bottle of French cologne, will determine how I will feel. If someone uses perfume or hand lotion I don't like it even if the smell is nice. How a room smells when I enter often determines how I react. If a doctor rubs an ointment on me or someone else I automatically want to pinch my nose shut. When someone uses an aerosol I immediately leave the room even before I smell anything. I know we all are sensory creatures but I am really extremely sensitive. I am not referring to bad smells- something can smell fine but just for some reason evokes a negative reaction. Why is this, and does this say anything about my personality?

It sounds as though much of this sensitivity is psychological, and related to your expectations of how you feel you need to react to other odours, rather than to any chemical / physiological reaction. CBT counselling could help to unwrap this set of automatic expectations and habits, and enable you to revise them.

5
Posted by: jack tar | 2007/07/18

jis kat dan is dit seker n tipe van n blessing,ek wens partykeer ek kan so bietjie beter ruik.dit is seker ingebore en ek dink jy moet dit maar so aanvaar en daarmee saam leef!

Reply to jack tar
Posted by: Echelle | 2007/07/17

I was like that when I was pregnant!

Reply to Echelle
Posted by: Kat | 2007/07/17

I know it's psychological but I don't think I need counselling! I think it's normal for some too, just thought your opinion would interest me.

Jack tar- jy's reg, ek ruik iemand 'n myl ver want ek het 'n skerp reuksintuig, net soos blindes wat uitstekende gehoor het. Die geluid van 'n wind is niks vir my nie maar die ruik sal ek dadelik optel maar ek sal niks doen soos my hand waai en 'n lawaai maak soos "Wat de hel stink so?" nie. Ek het 'n vriend wat so is en ek dink hy is meer ongeskik as die persoon wat die wind los. Maar my smaaksintuig is stomp- ek eet enigiets solank ek net nie doodgaan daarvan nie.

CP MOM- wrong Kat, this Kat doesn't have a child, just a cat (from there the chosen name).

Reply to Kat
Posted by: CP MOM | 2007/07/17

Kat are you THE Kat i know ? Heard your kid was going to be in an ad? Congrats!

Reply to CP MOM
Posted by: jack tar | 2007/07/17

so nienand kan n ou skelm poepie los in jou geselskap nie..hell must be wierd.

Reply to jack tar