Question
Posted by: Dee | 2007/02/22

ME AGAIN!! SO SORRY

I am really sorry to be such a pest, my next question now before I bring these kitties home, the man I board with has a dog, he is not too fond of cats how do I introduce the kitties to him or is this a bad idea I don't want the cats to have to live in my room for the rest of thier life we live in a double story house.
Thanks so much for everyone's help

Introduce them slowly and only allow them together under your supervision. Don't let the cats go near the dog's food bowl.

3
Posted by: Dee | 2007/02/23

Heck you guys are so wonderful thanks so much, he is a cross malteese (sp?) and is about 14 years old but I am going to let him first get used to the fact that there is a cat around but won't introduce them straight away, I am so excited I can't wait for this evening. Thanks again guys!

Reply to Dee
Posted by: Carol | 2007/02/22

Dee find out if your tenant is prepared to train the dog and also as kaz says what type of dog is it.

Its relativly simple to get a dog to be "good" with cats but a lot depends on the breed and history of the dog.

My two boxers adore my cats :)

Reply to Carol
Posted by: KAZ | 2007/02/22

I have a tenant that just brought a kitten home, we also have three dogs and two cats. The younger one is 8 months old and since we got when he was 7 weeks old the German Shepherd that always chases my black and white cat is like a mother around the kitten and slobbers it and he doesn't mind. You tell tell the German Shepherd "Wheres baby?" and she will go looking for it. My kitten now thinks he is a dog and tries to act like them too.

The tenant that brought a ginger kitten home and had to give it back as it was a missing kitten as they discovered. The kitten was found at her work, she saw the missing poster and told the kittens owner what happened. That kitten didn't like our German Shepherd and visa versa and she wanted to attack the poor kitten. The tenants then got a kitten from a woman that rescues abused kittens and this kitten is a black and white kitten that was found in a drainpipe. The German Shepherd hasn't seen it yet. If a cat has grown up with dogs they may not feel as threatened by them and may just end up been good friends. One won't know until you introduce them.

It is actually a tough question of whether it will a good thing or not. Some dogs may not harm kittens but will adult cats. My dog must be a freak of nature. What kind of dog has the man you board with got?

Reply to KAZ