Question
Posted by: Keen | 2006/07/17

Me again and my CRP level

Hi doc

So I went to the Rheumatologist and she gave me some cortisone to use. Did not help much with the muscle and joint pains, but it's not as bad as it was. About a month ago I started getting rectal pain again, and after a visit to my GP he said there was no polyps or urine infection. He took some blood and my blood counts were normal. My PSA was also normal BUT my CRP was 10.7. He gave me UTIN 400mg twice a day for 10 days. Believe it or not, after a few days the muscle and joint pains were gone and the rectal pain too. This was about a week ago. Now (after a week off the antibiotics) the rectal pain is back and the joint pains too. And to top it off, I've gotten shingles!!! AAAAAAAGGGGGGHHH. I went through all my bloodwork this weekend and found one thing very odd. All counts are normal except my CRP. 1st reading was <3, 2nd was 5, 3rd was 8 and the last one was 10.7. I mentioned this to my GP, but he was not even concerned about it and said 10.7 was normal. Why does CRP increase with every bloodcount? What could be causing it....could it have been shingles all along? My GP says it could be prostatitis. I know CRP measures inflammation in the body. But a rising CRP is not good and I don't know what to do anymore. Should I rather go back to my internist? Could this be a cancer of some sort?

I'm 29 yrs old doc. I've been to two internists, GP's, Gastro doc, Neurologist and Rheumatologist and they just don't know what's going on....can't go on like this anymore.

Dear Keen
You are correct - CRP is an inflammatory marker and shows up things like infections and inflammations. CRP is not diagnostic but rather an indicator of how well your medication is working. See http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/crp/test.html

This is just a hunch but did they test you for tickbite fever ?
Other possible causes can be brucellosis, HIV, streptococcal infection, fibromialgia or hypo gammaglobulinemia. I don't think you have to worry about cancer. Ask your internist to delve deeper. Please don't feel despondent, some diseases need time to sort out and it is to the doctor like building a big jigsaw puzzle - they should just not NOT look for the cause and just treat you to get you out of the consulting room!!

1
Posted by: anxious | 2006/07/17

Normal CRP levels are 0-8 so your latest one is not too high. You're right increased CRP levels are indicative of infection of some sort but sometimes its difficult for doctors to know what, especially if patients are not presenting any symptoms (which you do seem to have!). I had a very high CRP earlier this year when I had routine monthly blood tests - mine was 90! My GP made me go back for another blood test a few days later and the CRP levels had come down a lot - I presented no symptoms - he said in my case it was probably something viral. You should probably be seeing a specialist physician or someone like that - something is definitely not right - it must be very frustrating for you - im sure you want to get to the bottom of it - there's nothing more annoying than having something like this going on and not knowing how to fix/treat it!

Reply to anxious