Question
Posted by: googlie | 2004/09/29

May scans damage your baby?

Dear GyneaDoc, please could you comment on whether scans may have any damageing effects on ones baby - I have been advised that there has been some speculation as to whether scans could cause hyeractivity for example?

As far as we know they are safe

2
Posted by: Purple | 2004/09/30

Much research has been done on the effects of scans on baby's and they have been shown not to negatively affect the baby.

Is hyperactivity real, or is it normal child hood exhuberance and activity that a useless teacher or a tired parent can't cope with? Funny that poor people who can't afford drugs for hyperactivity just don't seem to have hyperactive children? Or are their children just given more opportunity for imaginative out door play and not surrounded by bits of plastic and TV's?

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Kate | 2004/09/30

I asked this question a few months back and the gynae doc told me that it is prefered that gynaes do not use the doppler scans a lot. These are the coloured scans. The black and white scans that we have every four weeks are harmless to the baby.

Reply to Kate