Question
Posted by: clive | 2005/07/24

Maximum H/R.

I am 53 years old and have measured 232bpm on my monitor during a cycle training ride.My own zone in between 65% and 70% is maintained without any discomfort(2-3hours).Please advise whether this is safe to train at this level for my age.My rest H/R is 32bpm.Thank you.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Clive,

That is some heart rate you achieve. I hope yopu do not keep that rate up for very long. I’d like to refer you to another question on this forum for some information: - click on question 390 from Katja, dated 1/7. Someone called Topdeck gave her a pretty good answer, and I think you will find his/her information useful.

The bottom line for YOU, is what YOUR cardiovascular system copes with. If you have no discomfort or pain, then you are probably okay. But remember, that beyond a certain point, the gain of pushing yourself further is minimal. So don’t get hung up on the numbers, but pay close attention to your body, and the signals it sends you.

I would like to issue a word of warning about gyms in general. Please understand that this is not aimed at any person or gym in particular. Last week, we had to do a double valve replacement on a middle-aged man who was given a health report – (in writing, from a biokineticist at a local well-known gym) declaring him to be in “ excellent A1 health”. This man had two severely leaking heart valves, which had to be replaced with artificial valves in an operation needing him to be on a heart-lung machine for 2 hours and 26 minutes. This is clearly not the case with you. I only cite this to make the point that target heart rates are just that – targets, not something cast in stone, to be achieved or else you will not be fit. So exercise and enjoy it, and the benefits it brings.

Go well.

HeartDoc