Question
Posted by: roz | 2006/10/26

max planck diet & breastfeeding

can i follow the max planck diet while breastfeeding

Dear Roz
I am not acquainted with this so-called Max Planck diet, but I do know that the German Institute with the name of Max Planck has never devised a slimming diet. It is not recommended that you use any diet that is either very low in energy (less than 1500 cal or 6300 kJ/day) or unbalanced while breastfeeding as this can lead to deficiencies in mother and child. Rather eat a sensible, balanced diet rich in fruits, vegetables, low-fat milk and dairy products (at least 4 servings a day to provide the calcium you and baby need at this stage), wholegrain and high-fibre cereals, lean meat, fish (at least 3 times a week for omega-3), eggs (use the omega-3 enriched eggs), legumes and 3 tablespoons of monounsaturated margarine or olive oil a day (this means you will be cutting back on fat intake and not eating any high-fat foods, which will in turn reduce your energy intake without causing deficiencies of vital nutrients. Also start being more active - take baby for a walk every day for at least 30 min.

2
Posted by: roz | 2006/10/26

I am 35 years old, my baby is 4 months & I am breastfeeding. I weigh 130 kg (and have been for the past 5 years), picked up no weight during my preagnancy. I struggle with my milk supply now & then and need to follow a diet that will not influance my milk supply. Wich diet would be the best for me? I am not good with diet menus, so I need something that has a worked out menu. Thank you for the advice on the Max planck diet.

Reply to roz
Posted by: me | 2006/10/26

Evaluation of the Max Planck Diet:

An evaluation of the Max Planck Diet was offered by the German Consumer Foundation " Stiftung Warentest ":

"Conclusion: Don't do it! Losing 9 kg in 2 weeks is simply impossible and it is likewise impossible for the metabolic rate to change in this period."
(" Stiftung Warentest " - a German Consumer Foundation - Comparison of 80 diets)

Both the "Max Planck Institute for Nutrition" as well as the Institut für Ernährungswissenschaften" in Wien ("Nutritional Sciences Institute") distance themselves from the Max Planck Diet. It was not developed by either of the two institutes.
The Max Planck Diet does not have enough vital nutrients. There is also too much protein in this diet.

Reply to me