Question
Posted by: Mar | 2004/01/22

Mavis' mixture sold as herbal tea in health shops

I bought a plastic bag of herbs (no name or ingredients printed on it) from a health shop in Waverley Pretoria. It was used by friends to loose weight and they succeeded with the help of some or other crystal that allegedly shrinks one's tummy. (I respectfully think this is absolute nonsense.)
Apparently this herbal mixture (there are 4 different herbs in it that you mix after you bought it) is put together by one "Mavis" - a lady apparently from Pretoria whom I do not know anything about.

The herbal "tea" (10 cups per day is advised) makes me urinate much more than normal. I had a little diarrea the first day (I am on my 6th day) - other than that I feel fine.

I have lost 2kg (which I think is water only!) I am very healthy and am 43 years of age. I need to loose 12 kg. I am female. I also do not believe in quick fixes and has set my goal to loose this weight over a year. I exercise 5 times per week (walking 5km, spinning 45 min, water aerobics 45 min)

Do you know anything about this "tea" and should it not carry some indication of what is in it? Where can I report it to have it tested?

Dear Mar
You have identified one of the great problems associated with weight loss in SA. There are hundreds and hundreds of products which are sold to the public, which promise miraculous weight loss without a whole host of checks and balances: a) list of ingredients and what effects they may have b) name and address of the manufacturer so that you can obtain information or complain if the product does not work or has negative side-effects c) any real control of such products. If you want to have the tea tested then you would have to approach the CSIR or SABS and pay for the analysis which would be very expensive. I would suggest that you phone the Dept of Health in Pta and ask who you can report this product to. Try phoning the Labelling Division at: (012) 312-0164. The tea probably contains herbs that have a diuretic and/or laxative effect which will result in loss of water not fat. I would strongly advise you to stop using it as it may cause dehydration and/or loss of normal bowel function. To lose weight you basically need to eat a low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Slimming Diet' for a copy), and combine it with your regular exercise.

3
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/07/19

I have met Mavis personally on a number of occasions and I find her to be extremely bad mannered and appears to be full of herself. In short she does not impress me as being one who knows what she is doing. Based on the foregoing I don't care whether the stuff that she puts works or not but just the way that she conducts herself results in a personal resolve never to use one iota of what she puts together.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/08/05

hi i have used mavis's herbs and it works 100% there is nothing wrong with it it is just a combo of tealeaves and it is very good for u.. the cristals is camfer so it works for the tommy shrinking... she is very good and she knows what she is doing

Posted by: Mickey | 2014/01/15

Where can I buy this herbs and tea........me and a few of my clients used it years ago with great resulst............last week I client mentiond that his wife went on Mavis high blood pressure tea and also lost weight. But he don't want to ask his wife u know ladies....

Reply to Mickey