Question
Posted by: Zynelle | 2004/01/05

Maternity Questions?

Hi everybody, hope you all had a lovely holiday and a safe journey. Happy New Year too.
I will be 16 weeks Wednesday. I have the following questions :
1) When must I decide what kind of labour I prever?
2) When do I inform my medical aid, and do I book my own hospital bed?
3) When do I start with pre-natal classes?

Anymore interesting information will be welcome.
Thank's

I hope that these answers have helped you.

2
Posted by: Belle | 2004/01/05

Hi Zynelle

As Kate said you can do your birth plan anytime beforehand, just remember to write it down clearly and take it with you when you gao to hospital, You will probably be in to much pain to make yourself clear and hubby to flusterd to remember. Let your medical aid know about the pregnancy soon, it will set your mind at rest to. if you know your due date you can book your bed from about 21 weeks. For the pre-natal classes they are a great source of information, but try to find one where hubby must also attend throughout not only for the breathing. Giving birth is not easy and there is nothing more irritating that having someone with you that knows nothing about what is going on. When I was expecting my first baby I went to a lovely lady (she was also a nurse in the maternaty ward) that did exercise classes for pregnant women twice a week from early in your pregnancy, and then the pre-natal classes from later on where hubby joined. The wonderful thing about the excercise classes was all the other pregnant ladies all at different stages of their pregnancy that got together and chatted for 45 min. Its amazing what you learn from the ladies questions that are further along, you know what to expect next because they have been there and already discussed it.

Reply to Belle
Posted by: Kate | 2004/01/05

Happy new year to you too.

1) You can decide what your birth plan is going to be anytime before you go into hospital. Don't rush this decision, talk to your caregiver about the pro's and con's of your options and then decide what you feel comfortable with.

2) I had to inform Discovery Health between 12 weeks and 21 weeks of pregnancy. You medical aid should give you a hospital registeration number that you will need when booking a bed and the birth with your chosen hospital.

3) Ante-natal classes should be started around 30 weeks. But you may need to book quite well in advance.

Best of luck!

Reply to Kate