Question
Posted by: Wendy | 2004/02/24

Maternity leave

I am now 7 weeks pregnant, had a miscarriage last year and a threatened miscarriage on Friday which was very scary I lost a lot of blood in one big gush but the bleeding stopped quickly and a scan yesterday revealed no fresh bleeding and the baby is fine. Can this kind of bleeding affect the baby and do you have any ideas of what may have caused it? Also my son was premature at 35 weeks ( he is now 6 ), so would like to know in light of my history when would it be wise to start my maternity leave.

This is what is called a threatened miscarriage. This is usually due to bleeding behind the placenta. If it all settles down, there should not be any effect on the baby. However, there is always a risk that you will bleed again and miscarry. The bedrest would be important at this stage. Many women have one miscarriage and this is usually because of an abnormality of the baby, nature's way of preventing giving birth to an abnormal child. More than one would need investigation.
It is a bit early to plan your maternity leave now. I would suggest you wait and see what happens in the next month or so.

3
Posted by: mint | 2004/02/24

I think it should depend on how much maternity leave you are entitled to.If you are allowed 6 months then take it all and leave at around 6 months to avoid too much pressure during the last few weeks.If you have 3 months then it at 71/2 months (6 weeks before birth).I wish you only the best of everything.

Reply to mint
Posted by: Lindy | 2004/02/24

Hi Wendy

With my second child I had a very eventful pregnancy. At 8 weeks I started spotting, that cleared up. At 17 weeks when I got up in the morning I felt a gush of blood and rushed off to the hospital convinced that I had lost my baby. We found out that day that it was a boy and I had a low lying placenta which caused the bleeding, I spent a day in hospital and a week in bed. At 6 months I cut my finger very badly and had to have a tetanis shot. At 7 months I got electrocuted at work (just a small one from a open plug). At 8 months I got mumps on both sides of my face. He was a 8 days late and had to be induced. After a very difficult 13 labour hours the doctor decided to do a ceazer. Baby had turned around trying to get out so was trying to push through with the wrong part of his head and the cord was twice around his neck. Today he is a 16 month old beautiful bright baby boy. I consider him to be my miracle child after all this. (Low lying placenta is only a problem later in pregnancy when the baby starts to get big enough to push on it which can cause the bleeding and if it doen't move out of the way)

Reply to Lindy
Posted by: Norma | 2004/02/24

Well I would say atleast a month before baby is due, but you'll have to wait and see how this pregnancy goes.......

Glad everything is fine now, good luck

Reply to Norma