Question
Posted by: Liane | 2007/05/15

massive weight gain makes me want to die

these days i feel as though i just want to dissapear. last year i was in the best shape of my life until i hurt the ligaments in my knees (from overexercising) and i wasn't able to exercise anymore. i started drinking heavily and eating things i didn't normally eat. last year i lived off a diet of salads, veg stirfry and crackerbread. i then got a lung infection over New Years from too much partying (the doctor's own words) and was basically bedridden for almost 4 weeks. since then i have gained a massive 13 kg. i look disgusting. i've got thunderthighs and my butt measurement has increased from a svelte 97cm to a staggering 109cm and it just seems to be growing by the day. i have since given up drinking (it's been almost 5 weeks now) but i still can't see a difference. i have started doing light running or fast walking depending on how sensitive my knees are but still nothing. i am getting a huge complex from this and hide myself in baggy clothes. i can't handle the looks and whisperings from old "friends".

i am really trying to eat healthy and don't eat junk food, i eat chocolate maybe 3 times a week instead of the usual everyday (i am really trying to cure my sweet tooth but i have a real problem with that). i have even taken to making myself throw up after a big meal just to get rid of the calories. why do i just keep on gaining?

Dear Liane
I can understand that you are desperate because you have gained all this weight by overindulgence, but PLEASE don't start inducing vomiting to get thin. This will lead to an eating disorder called bulimia and this is not the way to go. So please be sensible and consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), so that she/he can assess your weight and present dietary intake and prescribe a diet that will help you not only to lose weight, but also to correct the dietary imbalances you have inflicted on yourself. Talk to the dietitian about your feelings of wanting to throw up to lose weight, because you may also require some psychotherapy to stop this dangerous cycle. Seeing a psychologist is actually also a good idea as it sounds as if you are feeling very depressed, and the psychologist will help you to learn less destructive coping mechanisms. Keep up the exercise, but don't damage your knees again because this will send you into the downward spiral again. Consider doing exercise like swimming or water aerobics that do not put strain on the knees.
Hang in there, but do get some expert help so that you don't develop an eating disorder.