Question
Posted by: Theresa | 2004/03/04

Massaging of stretching ligaments?

Hi All,

I am now 22weeks and 5days pregnant. I feel my ligaments stretching everyday especially after exercising. This is understandable as when you exercise, the blood is circulating your body at a faster rate and the baby does get an increased blood supply.

My question is: The pain that I feel from the ligaments stretching - well can you massage that area of your stomach to ease the pulling? The pain is mainly on the right side of my stomach just next to my hip bone. If I push there, it seems to get to the sore ligament and ease the pain a bit. Is a hot water bottle safe to put on your tummy to also draw the blood to the ligaments to ease the pain?

Just wondering is any other active preggies experience this ligamant pulling? Let me know.

Thanks Theresa

If massaging the stomach helps, you could do this. The ligaments are quite far down though, so I'm not sure that superficial massage will really reach them. You should not use a hot water bottle as this may cause overheating of the fetus.