Question
Posted by: Susan | 2005/07/22

Marriage

This forum is a great idea.

I know we can't get legally married at the moment, but do you think this will change soon?

Thanx

Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Hi Susan and thanks for your question.

The matter of legal recognition of same-sex marriages has been presented to the Constitutional Court.

All indications are that the outcome will be positve for us. Hopefully you'll be able to legally marry your partner by the end of this year.

1
Posted by: Dino | 2005/07/26

Hey Susan!

My b/f and I decided to "get married" and approached a lawyer. What we have entered into is called a life partnership aggreement, which in all honesty is the same as a marriage. It is a legal document that states he is my partner and I, his. To have it recognised in a church is not the most important thing. What is crucial is that the two of you see it for what it is: a union of two people that love each other enough to make the ultimate committment. You can have your own "wedding ceremony" at home with your families and closest friends and make that committment to each other. It counts a lot to him and I, and makes it a permanent agreement. If we decide that we would like to go our sepperate, heaven forbid! then we have to have a "divorce". So it's all up to you as to how much of a committment you wish to make to your partner.

Reply to Dino