Question
Posted by: Beven | 2004/11/11

Marijuana use before pregnancy

I smoke marijuana on a daily basis. My husband and I enjoy a 'joint' in the evening after work, sometimes two. We have decided to stop using condoms (I have been off the pill for 2 years) and see if we fall pregnant. I definately won't smoke once pregnant. I would like to know the risks if smoking before pregnancy for both of us and how much it will affect our fertility.

There is some evidence that marijauna can decrease sperm count and motility.

1
Posted by: Nuffing | 2004/11/11

The main factors are lowered sperm count and low birth weight.

Nothing else too major.

However if you are planning to conceive it would be good for both of you to do a detox now and get your bodies in optimum condition to make sure you have the best egg and sperm you can have to ensure your baby has a good start.

There are just so many things that can go wrong, that I don't think it's worth taking avoidable risks...

Reply to Nuffing