Question
Posted by: active | 2006/08/01

Marathon panic

I have entered the women run/walk marathon which is scheduled next week and i haven't practised.I have never enter this before and the last time i went jogging i pulled my muscle,it was painful i couldn't walk fast and as i am regular gym goer it was impossible for me to perform other exercises like sguats,lunges and knee ups.What should i do?Will i pull my muscle again?Please help!

Hi active

It all depends on what caused that first muscle pull and most important, how long ago it happened. If it was a few weeks back, then I really think you will be OK. Most muscle injuries are OK a few weeks later, provided you have rested well and not worsened the situation at all. Of course, this depends on the nature of the pull and how severe it was, how you treated it etc. - it is a complex issue, actually.

However, I suspect it will be OK. For the race, then, considering that you have not trained too much, I would advise that for the first 10 minutes at least (I don't actually know how long the run is - is it 10km, I don't think it is a full maration of 42 km?), you walk and warmup. That means going slowly and taking your time getting into the event. Then, once that is done, you can begin to jog very slowly. This approach will not only help you get through without pulling a muscle, but it will help you finish considering a lack of preparation.

Hope this helps