Question
Posted by: Vika | 2004/11/13

Mapped tongue

Hi Doc,

My wife is 36 weeks pregnant. Two weeks ago she started having a mapped tongue, part of her tongue is white. We went to see a doctor and she was given nystatin. The white spots have not disappeared as yet. What can we do. Should she go for blood tests?

Before she started having a mapped tongue, she was on antibiotics after suffering a chest infection (due to exposure to cats). Could the antibiotics have caused this problem? Will it affect the unborn child? Please help.

Vika, it sounds like the correct diagnosis (oral thrush) was made and the correct treatment given. If it doesn’t clear up within a day or two of the medicine being finished, the best would be to go back to the doctor.
It was probably due to the antibiotics, but I doubt that it will effect the baby.
If you’re interested in something I wrote on tongue changes you can mail me at CyberDoc@mweb.co.za. Good luck.