Posted by: kimmi | 2008/09/11

Mange - Scabies?

Dear Readers
I have just adopted two gorgeous little pups, who had been mistreated and obviously living in really bad conditions. I went to the vet who treated them for a variety of ailments, amongest them was Mange. Although they are on treatment, the vet knew very little about whther or to what extent Mange is carried on to humans (in the form of Scabies). Is there a product that humans can use to become immune to scabies? I work with people and am petirifed of infecting others with a disease that is very uncomforable!

PLease advise, look forward to hearing form you

Dear Kimmi

If dog have mange the mites can bite humans and causes severe itching on arms and legs. Once the dogs are treated the bites dissapear. The clinical condition scabies in humans are causes by a similar mite but usually not the one on dogs. So.. just wash your hands before going to work and stop worrying.

Posted by: Mary | 2008/09/12

I recently adoped a puppy with sarcoptic mange. I got the itchy skin - and was told of a soap available from the chemist. I have forgotted the name but will enquire tomorrow and post it here. It worked very quickly. I got it from Wynberg Pharmacy. Just mentioned that I had a scaby like itch and the assiatant took me right to it. R11 odd.

Reply to Mary
Posted by: Chill | 2008/09/11

Dog mites are transmissible to humans, but since they can' t complete their life cycle except on a dog, human infections are self-limiting.

Cross-infection to humans is rare, but if it happens, don' t worry - it' ll go away by itself.

Scabies is to humans exactly what mange is to dogs but as the cybervet has said, it' s a different mite.

Reply to Chill