Question
Posted by: Scrachy | 2006/11/11

Mange on dog - now cat too!

Hello
A couple of months ago, our cross collie started scratching. The vet said it was mange & prescribed some dip - I was horrified! we have used the dip every week,and have cleaned his kennel and his bed each time with the correct dosage mixed.
Our Cat has now also started scratching and has patches of hair missing.
Help!! What am I doing wrong????
Where did it come from? I am a clean freak!!
How do I get rid of it ? I have 4 cats
Please give some advise for mange in cats - i would like to avoid a trip to the vet with the old cat.

Cats rarely get mange. They are more likely to have fleas or develop skin problems due to allergies and stress related causes. Have the dogs recovered? It takes about a month for the coat to grow back.

1
Posted by: Chill | 2006/11/12

Do an archive search on mange, it's been discussed quite frequently.

Mange is caused by a mite, like scabies in humans. It must be treated properly, it is infectious - as you have discovered.

Go back to your vet - if you've been treating the dog according to instructions for as long as you say, it's possible that you're treating for the wrong kind of mange - there's more than one kind. Mention the cat to the vet and ask if that needs to be seen too.

Mange doesn't go away by itself very easily, so I wouldn't just wait and see.

Reply to Chill