Question
Posted by: C | 2008/01/16

MANGE - HELP!!

I need advice and suggestions from ANYONE who has dealt with MANGE. My daschund is 5 years old (I have 2 of them - sisters) and she has always had mild skin problems - usually allergies from what my vet & I assume is grass. I often have to give her a treatment of cortisone to calm the allergy. Since about 2 years ago, this dog has suffered with MANGE. I did not know much about the disease prior to this, but I am fairly educated on it now. My problem is that I cannot get rid of it. She has been affected 3 times now. The first 2 times, I treated her with Ectodex (I think that is the name) after vet consultations. This time I am not winning. I have had her at the vet - twice - and still I cannot get rid of it. This stuff is highly toxic and I cannot spend the rest of my life dipping this dog in it once a week - for her sake and mine. I cannot accept that I cannot get rid of this mange? There HAS to be a more effective treatment. My other dog still remains unaffected. The vet has put this down to stress & immune system - and the dog that is affected is a bit more high strung. That I can accept. But considering these are miniscule mites biting the skin - why is it that I cannot clear it up??? Do they become immune to the poison at all? Should I change to a different one? The dog is suffering because it is terribly itchy, I am suffering because this is costing me a fortune, and there has to be a more effective treatment than dipping? Any information is welcome!

There are two main forms of mange in dogs Sarcoptic mndge and Demodectic mange. Sarcoptic mange is more difficult to diagnose (you may miss the diagnosis) but usually easier to treat. Demodectic mnge is easier to diagnose but more difficult to treat. I am assuming your dogs has demodectic mange but please confirm this with your vet before I can advise you further.

11
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/08/09

Pls advise on how to use ectodex...should my jack russel be wet first..my vet says she should be sponged down ..must the solution make her thourghly wet and lastly must i rince it off or shampoo after teratment?

Posted by: mr L | 2016/06/07

hi all and especially cyber vet, i have a 4 month old stray that i picked up and his health has improved alot. and he has grown. he is a lab & ridgeback cross hee started scratching a month ago and mainly his tummy. he does this funny move where he lies on his tummy and crawls obviously to scratch. he has bitten his paws open and attacked his tail and scratches under his arms alot. the last week he has been scratching his ears and the skin on the tip has become flaky and the hair falls out which now makes me believe he has mange. he had so called hot spots which the spca shaved and treated and his hair grew back but i see on his elbow his hair is thin and open patches with scabs. please advise. its killing me hearing him scratch and cry.

Reply to mr L
Posted by: J | 2016/01/12

Hi all, My bitch also had very itchy skin and sores and redness on her paws and under her arms. Her hair on her chest was almost non existent. She is 2 yrs and I she has come to stay with us. Very active girl. I put her on Hills Z/d for now. Dipped her in Ectodex. Because she is a small dog I maje the solution 5ml to 2,5 litre of water. Put it in a flat bowl where she can stand in and use a sponge to wet her to the skin. Solution falls back on bowl and I wet my sponge again until I and satisfied that she is wet troughout. Dipped her twice now 5 days apart and have seen a remarkable improvement. I will continue this treatment for 6 weeks. I am very happy with the progress at present. I plan to put her back on Hills sensitive skin diet but will continue dipping as I believe this is the answer to her skin problem.

Reply to J
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/04/11

My pitbul has mange and I don't know what to do please help me

Posted by: C | 2008/01/21

Hi Chill. I am in Centurion area. I have read up much more about this now and I think she has been diagnosed correctly - I just don't think it has been taken very seriously by the vet. I have read up a lot about them getting this all over their feet, and that is definately what she has. The tummy and rump areas are not too bad, but her feet are almost bare. I also went and bought some Benzoyl Peroxide shampoo yesterday, along with AMITRAZ dip (I was using ECTODEX). I also then bathed her with this shampoo, and let her stand with it on for as long as she could bear (supposed to be 10 mins but it is difficult to keep her happy for that long). I then dipped her with the dip. That I kept her paws in for around 10 minutes and just sponged it over the rest of her body. The vet never mentioned using this shampoo, and yet all the websites I have been on recommend using it to open up their hair follicles and clear any skin infections (which might be causing the itching). I do have antibiotics but I am reluctant to use them (they were given for a possible skin infection) and then my last problem is the reason she keeps getting mange: it is apparently brought on by a low immune system or some disease causing the immune system to be low. Unfortunately I do not have the money to get tests done on her for all sorts of different diseases, but I was thinking someone could suggest a good vitamin or something to educe stress in the dog that is affordable? She is a very highly strung animal - and it may well be that she is also highly stressed, or easily stressed for some reason? I cannot change my household much - but the household has consisted of the same animals (I have cats as well) for the whole 5 yrs of the dogs' life. They are outside in a small garden (big enough for them) during the day, sleep inside at night in their own beds, they eat Hills dog food and are really not subjected to any obvious stress. I probably have to accept that she really is a highly strung dog and is prone to this disease, but I have to get it under control - preferably get rid of it - and then rather build up her immune system. Can you help with some advice on that?

Reply to C
Posted by: Chill | 2008/01/18

Maybe she's been misdiagnosed.

See if you can get a referral to a specialist veterinary physician, or otherwise a vet with a special interest in skin conditions.

Please post your whereabouts - if you're in Cape Town I can recommend some vets who would be able to assist you.

Reply to Chill | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Jacques | 2015/04/04

Hi Chill Can you perhaps suggest a veterinary physician, or otherwise a vet with a special interest in skin conditions in Cape Town as mentioned? I'm in Brackenfell

Posted by: C | 2008/01/18

Hi Cybervet - thanks for the response. According to my current vet, and the vet I had previously before I moved, this dog has demodectic mange. My other dog appears fine - I check her for any signs all the time. The affected dog just gets worse and worse no matter what I do. She hardly has any hair left on her feet, although her back, neck & sides are OK. Any advice is appreciated.

Reply to C
Posted by: Nip-nip | 2008/01/17

My collie had the same problem before and i dippd him onnce in a week he was fine after a while.
what need to be done is to disinfect the area your dog sleeps in.i used to put the blankets in hot until the water is warm and wash them.that really need patience.

Reply to Nip-nip
Posted by: C | 2008/01/17

Thank you - I will ask. She has demodectic mange according to the vet - BUT according to ALL info on this type of mange, it is not itchy, and she IS VERY itchy. So within that also lies confusion.....

Reply to C
Posted by: Chill | 2008/01/16

There are a few different kinds of mange - see if your vet would approve a dip called Triatix. It's also pretty toxic, and you must wear gloves and preferably wellies and a plastic raincoat while you apply it - but if it's the right stuff for your kind of mange, it will do the job. But, ask your vet - it may not be the right stuff.

Reply to Chill