Question
Posted by: Bipolar | 2007/12/11

Managing weight on Epilim and Seroquel

My 21 year old daughter suffers from bipolar disorder and is on the above two medications. Her doctor has specifically chosen these to manage her health and it is not possible to change them at this stage.

Both medications increase insulin production and result in cravings and appetite increase. In a very short time she has gained a lot of weight and she is getting very upset and down about it. She is also starting to talk about not taking the medication because of the weight gain.

I have enrolled her at the gym and discussed with her need to see a dietician. Her doctor has suggested a low GI plan to reduce cravings.

I cannot fiind a dietician who not only specialises in this type of plans but also has an interest in complementary nutritional support for this type of illness..

Can you recommend anyone in the Cape Town area.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Dear Bipolar
I can for obvious reasons not refer you directly, but if you visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" you can find dietitians in your area. I agree with the dr that it is essential for your daughter to see a dietitian and to do exercise.
Holding thumbs for both of you