Question
Posted by: Distressed | 2006/04/11

Managing sugar cravings

Hi there doc,

Trust that you are well. I please need some advice. I have suffered with Candida since the age of 18, I am now 24. On top of Candida I have IBS. I have been trying to cut out sugar and wheat which does help but what I am struggling with is that I get the most awful cravings for sweets or something sugary and I just wanted to find out how I manage this. Would eating popcorn help. I'm also constantly hungry. I eat my breakfast at 7 but by 09h30 I am hungry again and that is when my body seems to crave sugar the most.

Please can you advise me on how best to manage this

Many thanks.

Dear Distressed
Thank you, I am well, but I am concerned about you. Please do consult a clinical dietitian (check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area), because you have multiple problems. The dietitian will work out a diet for you that helps for the IBS and also builds up your immune system to combat the Candida. If as you say, cutting out wheat and sugar is not helping then stop doing this as there is no scientific proof that avoiding sugar or wheat will cure the Candida. You need to go back to the dr who is treating you to have tests done to determine if you don't have a strain of Candida that is resistant to standard therapy and if so, to obtain the correct treatment for it. Probiotics ("good bugs") can be used to combat Candida, so try using Acidoforte (buy at health shops ) which is taken by mouth and Vagiforte (used vaginally) to build up the beneficial microflora (microorganisms in the gut and genital tracts). It may also be a good idea to have your blood glucose and insulin levels tested to see if there is a problem.
Hope you soon get these conditions under control.

1
Posted by: Tamerin | 2015/04/20

I suffer with sugar cravings st night and I really want to loose weight

Reply to Tamerin